At High Rocks we explore healthy food choices.
High Rocks is also a site for a Grow Appalachia program, an outreach education and service project of Berea College. It is funded by the generosity of John Paul Dejoria, co-founder and CEO of John Paul Mitchell Systems, Inc.
Grow Appalachia is dedicated to helping mountain families plant a healthy future for themselves and their communities by:
- Providing them with skills and resources to grow sustainable, nutritious food
- Teaching them how to prepare and preserve food in a healthy way
- Empowering them to share their knowledge in the community
- Creating programs to provide food to elderly and disabled residents in need
- Developing local farmers’ markets to sell surplus food
“I’ve always wanted to have a vegetable garden, and the program gave me assistance in planning, preparing, planting, and harvesting a garden. I was able to do much more with the guidance and group support that I received than if I had tried to start a garden on my own.” -Grow Appalachia Participant
We are looking for more families, individuals and community gardens who are excited about gardening and want to be part of this project to increase their production and the quality of their produce. Whether you are a beginner or ready to go to market this year, Grow Appalachia has a lot to offer you.
QUESTIONS or ready to SIGN UP?